A great treat to take on a picnic, to the beach or to delight a child (or grown-up) alike! Here is a recipe for GIANT chocolate chip pecan cookies. Don’t worry about the chips melting. This version uses less chips than most recipes. Preference is to use Scharffenberger bittersweet chunks. You don’t need too many of those due to their high cocao content (70%) to get a decadent cookie that appeals to everyone. Use a heavy duty hand mixer to make this easy.
2 sticks of unsalted butter, softened
2 cups of all-purpose flour
1 cup of brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
6 oz of Scharffenberger dark chocolate chunks, (or another favorite such as Ghiradelli dark chips)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup of chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees for giant cookies. Use parchment paper to line your cookie sheets – NOTE: Only 2 giant cookies per sheet, so plan accordingly.
- Cream butter and sugars together until fluffy. Add the 2 eggs, vanilla, and mix well.
- Lightly stir dry (flour, salt, baking soda) ingredients together and add into the egg mixture. Mix thoroughly.
- Add the chips, mix together.
- Add the pecans, mix together. You will have a very stiff batter.
- Chill dough (covered) for about 2 hours. Remove dough from fridge.
- Use a basic ice cream scoop to gather a ball of dough. Place ball of dough on (parchment) cookie sheet, dampen your hand or large spoon and “splat” the cookie dough to a 5-inch round.
- Bake in a middle rack for about 15 to 17 minutes and remove from oven when centers are still soft. Let cool on sheet for at least 5 minutes before transferring to a rack for cooling.